Thursday, July 26, 2007

I really love munich. It seems happy with its lederhosen wearing, liter of bier drinking germans and easy going atmosphere. So far this week we have had some authentic german sauercraute, nuremburg sausages, cheese dumplings, horse radish, and dunkel weisse. Most of the week we've learned about the nuremburg trials and nazi rallies. It was really creepy to walk on the same steps as hitler did when he watched the marches on zeppelin field. The nazi propaganda architecture throughout nuremburg was interesting to see. I know I'll never see anything like that in any other country. All of the history pertaining to the war this week has been overwhelming. I always had a fascination with ww2 but actually being in the cities where events happened that changed world history has been sobering. Before it seemed to me like such a long time ago - not very relevant to me, but the effects here are so much greater than I realized that it all seems more real to me than ever. People here still have very strong feelings about it. Although my grandparents lived through it I've never heard them say a word about what it was like. I don't know if it is necessarily because I was uninterested or poorly taught - I think learning about something is incomparable to seeing at least glimpses of it and hearing anecdotes about individuals that lived it.

No comments: