Monday, July 30, 2007

Don't Ride Bikes Up Mountains

Last weekend I travelled with a large group of people to Interlaken to indulge myself in some outdoor activities. Saturday morning began with an early canyoning excursion with several others and a group of tourists from Mississippi. Canyoning was a blast! In a nutshell, the guides take you to a high point in a canyon, and help you work your way back down the canyon against all elements. We propelled ourselves down the sides of cliffs, jumped off short waterfalls, and slid down slippery slopes. I am glad I did the shortest trip, because my ankle is not fully healed from being sprained earlier in the summer. I actually thought it was fully healed until we jumped off the first waterfall (ouch). After canyoning, Chris and I took a train to Grindewald in hopes of hiking up the mountain. Since Grindewald was a little too far from any good hiking spots, we decided to rent a couple of bikes and peddle our way up the mountain. We knew we were completely unprepared, because everyone riding by was wearing full biking gear, and had giant leg muscles. Its safe to say that the average incline was about 20°, so I was a little worn out. Also, the high elevation provided us with less oxygen. Overall, I only made it half way.

Aside from the outdoor excursions, I enjoyed Interlaken. It had a few too many tourists in my opinion, but it was still a beautiful place.

No comments: