Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Too much vitamin C

Now that I have taken my tablets containg over a ten times the vitamin C I need, I am ready to blog. The whole group seems to be passing something around, and I hope we can pull out of it soon.

Bingen was a beautiful. I think I counted five castles on the way down the hill in the bus. The Hildegarde museum was pretty neat. Hildegarde was an amazing woman. She lived almost twice as long as most women of her time and made breakthroughs in medicine, art, music, and religion. The group then visited the site where she grew up. Walking amongst ruins that were at leasta thousand years old was definitely an experience. When I am in America, my family likes to take trips to Colorado and hike in the mountains. Most of the time we hike up to old boarding houses or gold mines. These might be a hundred or two hundred years old. Then I get to explore ruins five times that old. Amazing. Europe has such a longer history to it.

Yesterday, the group visited Nurnbourg. The Nazi methods used here were very interesting to me. They planned every detail to give the image of power and strength as a united group. From the coliseum like facade to the size of the steps at the zepellin field. Just from the pictures of the castle of lights, I can tell it must have been an intimidating experience. The site made me question what I would have done if I had lived in Germany at that time. I would like to say I would have resisted the movement, but how can I know without the same shoes. I can only be glad that the past is acknowledged and remembered.

No comments: