Thursday, July 26, 2007

Bruges

Although some of my travel buddies have posted their comments on Bruges, I thought it would be good to provide more input.

Our trip began with an overnight train ride that nearly became a complete disaster. The tickets sold to us at the Düsseldorf hauptbahnhof were for the previous night's train, not the one we needed to ride. Luckily, Andrew was able to use his German proficiency to work something out with the man on the train. I thought we were in big trouble, because German's are well known for sticking to the rules.

After a good night's sleep we arrived in Bruges to a relatively quiet city. Following breakfast, we toured the city and the market, and visited a brewery that made really good wheat beers. After our beer, we made what I think was the worst decision we have made since coming to Germany. We ate at a place called Pickle's that fries unidentified meats/stuff and serves them with more fried food. I really thought I was going to throw up on our boat tour, and scare away all of the tourists that suffer from sea-sickness. Last, but not least, Andrew and I bought the last two copies of Harry Potter.

Overall, Bruges is a great city for anyone that wants a nice, calm get-away. The chocolates are great too.

No comments: