Monday, July 30, 2007

Host Family

Everyone has always said that it is better to stay with a host family than in a dorm. I can understand why. I have been in Germany for some 9 weeks now doing study abroad with A&M. The first program was about the German language and culture. I had a very nice host family with that program, but they were always very busy and I didn't get a chance to talk to them much. I never assumed that I lost any of my experience due to that. While looking back at this second program in Duesseldorf I realize that being able to spend time with a host family does make a difference. I have eaten together with my second host family and I have talked privately with my host family and I am getting alot more of both the Culture and Language in my History of Medicine program. Its amzing how large a role a host family can play on the overall experience. I find it imperative for a person to spend time with their host family in order to get the full experience. I;m not saying you can't have fun unless you spend every waking moment with your host family, but you won't leave as cultured and educated as you could be if you don't take the time to talk to them.

No comments: