Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I hadn't been able to post since dachau and it's definitely worth blogging about. Even though we were taught so much about concentration camps in school, it was a completely different experience touring dachau. What I remember being the most terrifying fact we were told was that the prisoners themselves said the worst torture was the constant fear, the "re-education". They didn't know if they would be murdered the next minute, day, or month. Also, years after the end, they would still wake up at 4 am as if they were still in the camp. Equally amazing to me were the individual's stories of resistance despite their living hell. It was a hard day and a hard week, but probably the best excursion, I think, so far. It's also worth noting that almost everyone else touring dachau were german students. Yet another example of the "coming to terms with the past" that makes me respect germans more and more.

No comments: