Tuesday, July 24, 2007

southern germany

This week we are on the road for a trip to southern Germany. Our bus sounds terrible because everyone is coughing. I hope that I do not get any sicker. I have been taking a lot of vitamin c so hopefully that will hold it off. I have enjoyed this week a lot so far. The city tour of Nurnberg is the best city tour that we have had so far. We also went to the Nazi rally grounds and documentation center. I got a creepy feeling standing outside in the middle of all of this reflecting on the past events at this location. The documentation center was not really what I expected. I guess I thought there would be more about the crimes committed during the war and about all of the people that had died. I find it interesting that the documentation center did not open until 2001. This gives you an idea of just how hard it is for Germany to deal with their past, but also shows their efforts to deal with the situation and to make sure it does not happen again. I still enjoyed the center despite that it was not what I expected. I liked being able to go through there on my own and to sit and reflect on what had happened. I think that this week will be one of the best parts of the trip.

No comments: