Friday, July 13, 2007

At AIB By Myself

Since I unfortunately did not plan for the fact that transportation would not be readily available back and forth between the Neanderthal Museum, I am still here at AIB doing nothing while you guys are out on a walking tour. I figured since I just got caught up on my e-mail/facebook/fish camp stuff right before you all left I'd make the best use of my time by giving a chronicle of what I have done this past week and then catch up everyone on my weekend on Monday.

This week has been pretty cool considering all the interesting places we've gone and the random things that seem to happen. Joey apparently has a stalker homeless man who appears everywhere he is at, but stopped asking Joey for money after the second day here. Monday as everyone knows, we did a walking tour of Dusseldorf and Tuesday we basically had a second tour by having the scavenger hunt. I must say though, next years group should have a limit on the numbers of bags, otherwise, if I came back next year I would just sit on the street getting bags the whole time, which kind of defeats the purpose of the scavenger hunt (finding out all the information about Dusseldorf). Oh well.

Wednesday we went to Bonn and saw the "pleasure palace" which sounds kind of bad. They should have left the palace the white primer color that it had in the painting, the "peach blossom" although its a good color, does not fit the definition of a "castle" in most peoples' minds and is kind of obnoxious. Other than that, it was interesting although I wish I could have wandered into the roped off areas and could have seen the mystery bathrooms they kept talking about (around roped off corners).

Thursday was interesting, a walking tour of Cologne (Koln), lunch whereever we could find it (a nice sandwich and another waffle) and then a tour of the Cathedral. The Cathedral tour was topped off with a shaky elevator ride to the roof of the Cathedral, a walk inside its attic and a walk up to the spire. The guide provided a lot of really cool facts about the whole area, but my feet were killing me just as for some other people.

And here we are at Friday, where I am sitting here at 1:37 PM and waiting to go to Dusseldorf Hauptbahnhof so I can get on my train at 4:26 and begin my journey to Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber. I'm excited about this weekend, and I can guarantee I am going to take tons of pictures so I'll get back to you all then.

No comments: