Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Historical Immersion

It seems like such a long time since I've posted. It's a bit difficult when we are always so busy and tired and can't get much time on an actual computer. I suppose I'll start by saying I tried horse meat (pferdefleisch)! I liked it too! Yes, I may love horses but I do support their use as food animals. They are, afterall, still livestock.
we watched a film about the White Rose, which was excellent although very hard for me to watch at the end given what I just went through last month.
I went to Zurich this past weekend with some people. Oh my gosh I want to move there. I've fallen in love with Switzerland.
This week we are on the road. We spent the past two days in Nuremberg, with a quick stop in Bingen and to the ruins of Hildegard's monestary. The ruins were fantastic! If it hadn,t been raining, I could have explored for hours.
We're also learning a great deal about Nazi Germany- something that fascinates me. I guess it's hard to fathom how so many people got sucked into the movement and/or fell victims to it. Yesterday we saw the documentation center and the zepplinfield. I got chills down my spine when I stood in the exact place where Hitler did.
Tomorrow is our trip to Dachau. I've been looking foward to this part of the trip since I signed up. I believe to understand fully what happened, one has to actually see where it happened.

No comments: