Wednesday, July 26, 2006

"You can use anything to open a beer."

Every once in a while in life, something completely unexpected and great comes your way for no apparent reason at all. Jitterbuggin' Germans, free beer, garlic butter, white wine, kiddie pools, a dance revolution and the balcony of love are what defined last nights' unexpected event...an overnight stay at a German frat house.
Our program for Tuesday took us to Hannover where we were told that we would visit the prestigious veterinary schools of that great city. Tuesday night slowly but surely unfolded into one of the best parties I've ever been to. Our cheap-skate professors wouldn't indulge in a hotel room for us, so we roomed the night in a frat house owned and run by some of Hannovers' most accomplished veterinary students. We had started with a great supper at which I discovered the great pleasures of garlic butter, afterwhich I channeled my consumptive energies toward shrivveling my kidneys with FREE BEER. I had the best time intermingling with the nice german boys (one of whom happened to be our tour guide for the next day) and there was one in particular, Karsten by name, who saw to it that a drink was indeed in both mine and Sarah's hands at all times. A perfect host. Too bad he found it neccessary to always announce his intentions for using the facilities while he went to fetch our cold ones. I think he was rather proud of his ability for killing two birds with one stone. One of the most frustrating problems that one is faced with in Germany is the absence of twist tops on beer bottles. However, our hosts were most solicitous in helping us to remove our beer caps in a variety of ways. Karsten took me under his wing and educated me as to the inumerable possibilities for performing the neccessary operation, saying that really anything can be used to open a beer. I am now certified to pop a top using another bottle, a cigarette lighter, a table or any flatwear of your choice. I knew I would learn something on this trip.
After singing a few Queen ballads, wading through a kiddie pool and sitting in a forsaken sail boat, I noticed the picturesque romance of the imposing balcony belonging to the house, and decided to climb up the wall to where Kristen awaited me. And then came a dance party at which I swing danced to Usher, Weezer and Offspring with my new found German buddies. Eventually the night trailed off with some small talk and I stumbled into bed around 3:45 in the morning. Everyone in the fraternity told us that the last group from A&M were boring.
Hannover boys, you have my heart.


zasdyhghr

No comments: