Thursday, July 27, 2006

Frat houses and lots of stinky cows

We got back from Hannover yesterday. Staying in a frat house was definately an experience, I'll have to say. We started out with only 3 beds for 6 people. But then Leslie and I stole a mattress, pillow, and blanket from the boys. Which turned out fine since certain members of our group never came home that night! So then we ended up with 4 mattresses on the floor, with not enough pillows and I think only one blanket. It was like the Funny Farm all over again!!! But we all slept just fine, for the few hours of sleep that we got. Everyone was definately exhausted the next day.

After the last two days in Hannover, I have seen enough cows to last me a lifetime. The places we went were much better than the other farms, but I still don't really care to look at any more smelly cows. We did get to see a cow beginning to give birth in the morning. I guess I'm a nerd, but I thought that was really cool, and I wanted to stay and watch. But of course, we had to run off to the next place so we wouldn't be late. Yesterday I was amazed by the cow being cut open on the table. The rumen was bigger than I am! It was definately bloody, but I am always amazed by stuff like that. I wanted to stay in the room, but we had to split into two groups again. It was sad to see the dog that had suffocated on a ball he swallowed. Later at the cattle clinic, seeing the surgery and the ultrasound was really cool. It was interesting how they use the needle and tube during the surgery to smell to find the organ, rather than seeing it.

I am kind of glad to be back in Dusseldorf today, because all the traveling makes you tired. But of course, I'm leaving again for the weekend today after school! We're going to Bruges for the weekend. I can't wait to get some real Belgium chocolate! And some Belgium waffles! Yum!

No comments: