Monday, July 24, 2006

WOW it just hit me...

I found something that jogged my memory and gave me the chills while looking up info for my paper. Here is my short story... you should read it!

So when I was in 3rd grade I had just moved in with my dad and step mom and started school in Alvin, Texas. It was my first day I was sitting next to this girl named Sara. We started to talk and she offered to show me around and introduce me to everyone. She was much smaller than all the other kids and you could tell she had some sort of health problem, but I did not know what it was. One day she got short of breath and feel down in the playground and the called 911. Sara was gone for a week but then came back just as lively as ever. That week our grade got a special talk from a doctor from Texas Childrens Hospital. We learned Sara was the longest living pediatric heart transplant patient. She had surgery when she was only 8 months old. They showed us some pictures and Sara proudly displayed her scar. Our school class was on the news. She sadly died in 8th grade and probably had the best outlook on life of anyone I have ever met. (Just a side note... just last year my aunt moved into Saras old house... it was werid to go in there because I used to play over there all the time.)

I always wondered where my interest in becoming a doctor came from and why I always though the heart was so cool. When I was doing research for my paper I came across an article about Sara and it clicked. I remembered telling her I wanted to be a "heart doctor" so babies could grow up and and play like normal kids.

I can not tell you what chills this gave me reading about her and remebering all this... it seems like yesterday, and now I know what started my interest in cardiology!

No comments: