Monday, July 31, 2006

Maybe put put's just not your game Stuart...I know, lets have a spelling contest.

Berchtesgaden...what can I say? I don't know whether I have ever experienced so much magnificent and natural beauty within the span of two days before. A tny little town tucked away in the Bavarian Alps and surrounded by clean air, majestic mountains that seem to reach to heaven, the clearest water that you've ever seen and beir gartens to content even the hardest core of drunkards.
When I arrived early on Saturday it was unfortunately rainy and cloudy throughout the skys. I went to visit the Eagle's Nest anyway and the ride up the mountain felt like ascending into heaven. I suppose that's a little ironic, but it is what it is. The spectacular views from the top were overwhelming and for the first time since I've been in Germany, I was not in want of an air conditioner. It was quite cool up there and from one point you could even see Salzburg from the top of that great mountain. I met a strange little man named Denny from Belgium on the way and we ended up spending our time at the Kehlstein house together. Both the interior and the exterior of the house seemed strikingly simple, but the manner in which the hous was built and the location marks it as an architectural triumph in my book. Riding in the golden elevator was exciting and the walk down the hillside to the bus parking lot was one of my favorite parts.
Later that night, I went to play put put all by myself (thank God) at an adoreable little outdoor course lit up with lamposts. There are some things to which I do not profess to be an expert, and golf is certainly one of them. I shot a hole in one and a hole in 51, which I thought kind of canceled each other out, but the lady working at the course was not of the same opinion. I asked her for a calculator and she asked me if my score card was a joke. She said "in Europe, we do not count the shots if we don't make the hole within six tries", to which I replied that I just don't like to give up.
Sunday was a beautiful day from start to finish and the first thing I did was catch a bus to Mount Jenner where I took a 30 minute gondola ride up to the top to see some of the most breath-taking scenery imaginable. Now I can say that I climbed a mountain (omiting some of the truth never hurt anybody).
After spending a few hours in the mountains I went to Lake Konigssee, the clearest, cleanest little body of water I ever saw. The shallow parts were like lookng into a mirror while the deeper parts were emerald green. I took a wonderful boat trip to the peninsula of Saint Bartholoma and peeked inside the church before drowning myself in beer. I went wading through the lake waters, bathing in the sun and just enjoyed every minute.

No comments: