Thursday, July 27, 2006

Now I know why Liechtenstein is so small....

Last weekend after Munich, Kristen and I took an early train to Salzburg. Right when we got there Kristen turns to me and says, "Sooo, what do you wanna do?" I had no clue. You get us together and we never have a city map, never know where we are going or what we are doing. We are just fly by the seat of our pants kinda gals. I didn't even have train tickets to our next stops or back to Duesseldorf. Nevertheless she knows about the Sound of Music tour which sounds awesome to me so we buy tickets. We decided to meet Sarah and Stuart at the train station since they took a later train so we went to the Mirabell Palace and Gardens. On the way there we PASS the BIG PALACE and GARDENS despite now having a city map, but when we got there it was AMAZING. We walked through a hedge tunnel together...how romantic:) We met up with the other two gals and got on "the most unique Sound of Music tour bus" where I found out that the Mirabell Gardens is actually where they sang Do-Re-Mi in the movie! The bus takes us to the Gazebo, the field Maria sang in, the lake the kids fell out of the boat in, and the wedding church. Stuart left her camera on the ground because we were busy skipping and singing "I have confidence in sunshine!!..." Luckily though she got it back. In the middle of the tour we went to a tobogan ride where me and Kristen flashed everyone in our skirts down at the bottom as the tobogan went up. It was neat to tobogan through the mountains. We went to eat at an Italian restaurant then just kind of hung around the river at night. Then Kristen and I took a 1am train to Liechtenstein where we got NO SLEEP, yelled at by drunk Austrian soldiers, and dropped my suitcase on sleeping passengers. It was great. We finally got to Feldkirch at 5am where we were supposed to take a bus to Liechtenstein but they didn't start running until 6am, so naturally I pass out on the hard metal benches at the train station in my pajamas. Kristen said everyone walking by were looking at me like I was crazy. Thats just how I do. So we finally got the bus that went to Liechtenstein where I realized that Liechtenstein is not any bigger than it is b/c there are no people to go out and conquer countries. I mean it was a ghost town...there were buildings and houses and all but NO PEOPLE. I followed Kristen down this long street in my pajamas lugging my big suitcase trying to find the castle. Im pretty sure she just wanted to try to walk across the country and no castle really even existed. Anyway we made it to the end of the road not accomplishing either but I bought some cool Liechtenstein postcards. Caught the train to Zurich that was 20 minutes late and we had to sprint through the train station to catch our train that was leaving in 2 minutes to Lucerne. Im sure it was a sight...as I was still in my pajamas...and it was noon. The first day in Lucerne (Saturday) we saw the large Lion statue, bought swiss army knives, and ate at an Austrian restaurant where we ate expensive fondue, Kristen yodeled on stage, and I hooked arms and sang an Austrain song with Carmello the Italian. By the end of the night all I had to say was never walk half way across town with a tour guide bus driver just to pay 14 swiss francs for a drink. Sunday we got up after the hostel fiasco (we only reserved one bed but somehow ended up getting two mattresses) and went up to Mt. Titlus. The ALPS are beautiful!! We clearly did not prepare for the cold weather though. We were both wearing flip flops and girly girl kristen is in a miniskirt. Once we got to the top though we rented ginormous hiking boots so we could walk around a little warmer. We took a ski lift thing over the glacier and then we walked into the glacier....yeah, ice=cold=natural AC=gooooooood. All in all, I had an amazing time in Salzburg, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland even if I did pay 10 swiss francs for a meal at McDonald's!

No comments: