Sunday, July 23, 2006

Ab Durche Die Hecke

Last night, Kit and I went to see Over the Hedge in German. I wasn't sure what to expect as I'd heard contrasting views about seeing a cartoon in German. First of all, Kit and I had both see it previously, so we knew the storyline. Dr. Wasser was even thinking about going to see it, though not at the same time we were. However, my host mum had warned me about going to see a dubbed cartoon over here, as I'd miss out on some of the jokes by not knowing popular German culture. She stated the example of the two sidekick sharks in Finding Nemo who were in the German version voiced by two German comedians who never appeared apart, thereby raising the humor in the situation. Regardless of whatever I missed, I had a great night, even though I fell asleep at one point. It was just so cold and dark. Nonetheless, many of the jokes were easy enough to decipher, although Kit and I never understood where in the American film the Hedge was initially addressed as Steve, yet in the German version the Hecke was known as Hugo. I think something got lost in translation.
Since we went to see an 11 PM movie, we got out about 12:30. The wait for the train home was quite an experience. As my train did not come in until 1:26, as scheduled, I had plenty of time to observe the people around me. One thing a neighbor of my host mum mentioned that she learned when studying abroad in America was the concept of PDA and how Americans approach public displays of affection. Well I noticed a difference while waiting. All around me were teenagers (I think) who had most likely just finished at the fair being held in Dusseldorf this month. Everywhere I looked, there were pairs canoodling and hanging all over each other. It was just different for me, and somewhat reminded me of high school where there were couples everywhere, acting as couple-y as possible just because they knew it would bother the administration. I guess I had just gotten used to not so much PDA in America, where these displays sometimes seem frowned upon. Hmm, just a difference that I thought was interesting.
I got home safely, by the way, although I am glad I went back for my train pass, as it was checked on that last ride home.

Today I went to a German barbeque party with my host family, and didn't enjoy this gathering near as much as those of the previous weekends. I seemed a bit out of place and odd, with no one to talk to, and it wasn't nearly as comfortable as Kerstin and Max didn't know nearly as many of the party-goers. It didn't help either that my stomach was bothering me, so Max brought me home early. Thankfully, a nap healed me, as I refuse to throw up while in Germany - its just not one of my favorite activities.

No comments: