Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I'm going on a bedless adventure

So my host mom is super sweet, and also very worried about my trip to Hannover. Miriam told us yesterday to see if our family had extra mattresses or sleeping mats becuase where we are staying may not have enough beds for all of us, and my host mom was just so upset. She didn't have a mat so she gave me a blow up pool float, and a blanket, and she wanted me to bring a pillow becuase she wanted to make sure I was taken care of. And then this morning, probably the funniest thing, she gave me a bag of gummy bears and told me "the bears told me this morning that they've never been to Hannover" so I told her I'd take them with me but that they would probably be eaten. She really is just such a great host mom! She even drives me to my bus stop!

Oh yeah, yesterday we got the talk about the German health care system. It was VERY interesting, probably one of the better speakers we have heard. The system seems to work for them, but I really don't see it as very applicable in the U.S. because German doctors get paid jack crap compared to U.S. physicians. I don't intend to become rich from being a physician, but I expect to live somewhat comfortably. I mean they said that they make around 45,000 euros a year, plus Germany takes out a bunch in taxes. U.S. Drs wouldn't sacrifice all their pay. And even with thier system they still have a lot of reforms that they go through every year and they make the co-pays higher every year, so no system is perfect. I definetly think the talk will help me with my med school interviews. :)

No comments: