Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Frat House Extravaganza

These past two days in Hanover have been interesting. I really enjoyed everything that we did although I am extremely exhausted, and staying at the Frat house was most definitely an experience. I enjoyed sleeping on a mattress with only half of my body under the covers and no pillow although I think I had it better off than some from what I heard. I actually slept fairly well despite the loud music and lack of sleeping gear. I love it.

All the students were really nice, and I really enjoyed talking with them. It amazes me how well they speak English. I really want to learn how to speak German fluently when I return to the States. I feel like the Europeans are so much more cultured than we are. There are so many Europeans who are multilingual, and they all seem to be very well informed about issues in the world, which is something I think we too often put off as unimportant.

The farms were all really interesting. My favorite activity was the large animal clinic and seeing the Robert machine at the farm. I have a new appreciation for agricultural engineers who are able to build such devices. The machine seemed to do pretty much everything, and it amazes me that they have the system networked such that if anything bad were to happen, engineers from Sweden are able to access the network and fix the problem. I do wonder how they were able to establish such a secure system because it would seem that with every network you create, there is always someone capable of cracking into, and I wonder how they prevent such things from happening. Seeing the necropsy was also really interesting. I had no idea how large the rumen of a cow was. In fact, I have never seen a dissected cow before so that part of the tour was exciting. Watching the surgeries in the large animal clinic were amazing as well, and I was impressed that they are able to perform surgeries on the cow while they are standing up. Anywho, I am extremely exhausted, and I absolutely must go to sleep. Ich bin zehr müde. Bis später und tschüss!

No comments: