Sunday, July 23, 2006

Dachau... I haven't been on a computer since Nuremburg.

The tour of Dachau was not as I had expected. The tour guide didn't really tell stories the way I think an effective guide would tell them. They were not vivid accounts that stirred up emotion. It seemed like what he said was strictly historical. Don't get me wrong, he was certainly knowledgeable - just not that amazing of a tour guide. On the other hand, I'm sure it would be extremely hard on him to use the type of imagery I had expected. Nobody would be able to tell those stories and still be able to work there. It would just be much too hard; I know I wouldn't be able to do it.

I think reading about what went on at the camp was more the type of information I wanted. I was more interested in the museum itself than the walking tour. This also has to do with the fact that I generally don't enjoy history as much, so the information has to be presented to me in a different way. Also, the fact that so many younger students who probably weren't mature enough were there. That certainly did not give the right effect.

No comments: