Monday, July 24, 2006

Nuremberg and Dachau

Last week was such a disturbing week. We took the city tour of Nuremberg and saw Zeppelin Field where the Nazi rallies were held. It was so eerie to stand on the same platform that Hitler once stood and convinced people to commit terrible crimes against humanity. After seeing the pictures and videos of what the rallies looked like, I can begin to understand how people could get swept up in all the excitement, but I will never be able to understand how they justified their actions toward the Jews and other minority groups. I was so disturbed by the images of people reacting to Hitler when he walked by...it was like he was a god. I can't believe a man so evil commanded so much respect and love. I also didn't like the fact that Zeppelin Field was being used for car races. I would think that the german people wouldn't want to use any buildings or structures that the Nazis used, but most of the buildings are still used today for some reason or another. Congress Hall was being used as a practice area for the orchestra and also as a storage facility. I just think that those buildings should be remembered for what they were and the things that happened there so that something like that doesn't happen again. The next day we went to Dachau to see the concentration camp. I had a really hard time walking through the doors. Although the things that took place at the camp were horrible, I felt like our tour guide, as knowledgable as he was, made it sound like a better place than it actually was. The camp was still horrible, and I wouldn't wish something like that on my worst enemy. I really don't understand how someone could treat another person that way or how someone's mind could be so sick that they could think of these punishments.

No comments: