Sunday, July 23, 2006

Bavaria beer gardens and bike tours

This last week had definately been my favorite. Although, I am so glad to be back at Heidi's house now! I am a little worn out of traveling constantly. Of course, that might be due to my lack of sleep from our hostel this weekend.

Nuremburg was really interesting. I had mixed feelings about seeing all the old Nazi buildings. It is interesting how they are still using the buildings this day for other things. I think it's good for the public to still see it, but not to memoralize it. The documentation center was really informative. After watching some of the videos in there, I could see how you could get sucked into all of the propaganda, especially with all the dancing and partying at the rallies. That's scary to think about.

The bike tour in Munich was fun. I had forgotten that I liked riding bikes! Although, I think everyone agrees that 25 people are way too many for a bike tour across the city. I wish we could have stayed and played in the river! It looked like so much fun. I didn't even know there was a river in Munich before we were there.

The concentration camp was definately a sombering experience. It was crazy to actually see what it was like for them. I had seen pictures, heard stories, and read about it, but it doesn't have the same effect as actually going there and seeing the conditions first hand.

I have to say that my favorite part of this week was definately going to the beer gardens as a class. If we had lectures in a beer garden at home, I don't think I'd ever miss a class! It was fun to just sit outside and talk with everyone. I think it should become a tradition.

No comments: