Thursday, July 27, 2006

Shaking a leg at the german frat house

So this week was pretty wild...an eye infection, a frat house sleepover, cows, layers, and broilers. I never thought I would experience all that in 2 days, but I guess you never know what will happen in Germany. Sometimes I think I might be making the wrong decision and I should really be a vet. I wonder if there is time to do both...

I have to talk about the frat house first. At first I was a little mad that we paid so much money for this trip and they couldn't even put us in a hotel for one night, but after a few beers my anger was abated. I really did learn a lot that night, both about the german vet school system and how to open a beer with just about anything you have on hand. I would have never thought that a beer could be opened with a coke bottle or a cigarette lighter, but to my surprise and delight, it can be. Amazing. There was also a dance party in the bar, which was a lot of fun, but I couldn't look at Michael in the same way after I saw him breaking it down to "YMCA."

The vet school was really interesting. I really enjoyed the cow surgery. It was so odd to see this cow standing there, perfectly conscious, with a large incision in her side, and a vet digging around her internal organs. The farm we saw was great, but it was sad to know that all these animals will eventually be food for someone. They were really concerned about the welfare of the animals, which I thought was great. It's good to know that the animals will have a good life before being slaughtered.

This weekend I'm going to Rome and I couldn't be more excited. I've always wanted to go there and even though I won't have that much time, I know I'm going to thouroughly enjoy it!

No comments: