Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Munchen ist wunderbar!

Last Wednesday Munich got the Texan experience! We started with lunch at this cool internet cafe and then we headed to the bike tour. I think I was spoiled by Mike´s Bike Tours in Amsterdam. I enjoyed the Munich bike tour a lot but what kind of tour guide doesn´t carry a pump on him? We saw all the architecture around the city, went through the Englisch Garten, and ended with the Augusteiner Biergarten. I liked the Englisch Garten the best because the river that went through it and the Chinese Tea House was cool with all the beer stands and Bavarian Folk music. I love the Bavarians. Period. I don´t understand why they get such a bad rap in northern Germany, but the bike tour guide said the Bavarians live for beer, dancing, singing, and God. Whats not to love? I also feel like Germany parallels the United States. Up north, the people might not be so open and courteous especially to people they don´t know, but down in Texas its like you never meet a stranger. After we enjoyed a liter of beer at the Augusteiner, we went back to the hotel where we had our dance party. All I can say (beg, really), is that the footage of us dancing and falling off the bed hopefully makes the final editing cut. Thursday we went to Dachau to tour the concentration camp. I was expecting to cry and I almost wanted to cry but we learned more about how the camp was before the war and how it wasn´t an extermination camp despite the 40,000 who died by the end. Its almost as if it wasn´t so bad to be there, but I know it was. I just wasn´t as effected by it as I thought I would be, especially finding out that they never once used the gas chamber. Not that I wanted that to happen, but going to a concentration camp one expects certain feelings and emotions and I didn´t have them. Don´t get me wrong, it was extremely interesting and I´m glad we had the opportunity to be there. After Dachau a bunch of us gals hit up the Englisch Garten river where I had a near death experience and we TRIED to get Stuart to take in the FKK experience but she wasn´t looking for the life of her. I had an awesome time and got some awesome pictures. After the river we of course went to the Haufbrau Haus where we met a funny Aussie who schooled us on language differences and his thoughts on Americans. Kristen also almost got eaten by a German man sitting behind us and Stuart tried to set the Aussie´s $500 jeans on fire only after she stabbed the table with her knife. In a nutshell...I LOVE MUNICH, I LOVE BAVARIANS, and I LOVE BEER. I love the German experience.

No comments: