Thursday, July 27, 2006

Finally! Things I understand...

On Monday we visited a local small animal clinic where Dr. Bartels gave us a tour and talked about her practice. It was interesting to me to here all the similarities and differences since I work in an animal clinic at home. The thing that was new to me was the fact that if any of her workers (Vets, technicians, or receptionists) got pregnant, they weren't allowed to work in the clinic at all. I have this theory that that is why a lot of women go into Veterinary Medicine-because it is a career that really suits working moms. Its kind of like being a lawyer because its really easy to leave and then come back and pick up right where you left off. After the tour we went back to the AIB where the vice president of Marburger Bund spoke about the German Health Care system. Its extremely different here than it is in America. Tuesday we left for Hannover to visit the Vet School. Our first stop was the Reproduktionsmedizin Mariensee where the coolest thing we saw was a cow calving. We didn't stay long enough to see the calf completely come out but you could definately see the hooves. All this vet med stuff is just reaffirming how much I want to go to Vet School AND how I still have to finish my application when I get home.

No comments: