Monday, July 24, 2006

Strangely, I understand.

Last week we were gone to Wurzberg, Nuremberg, and Munich. It was crazy hectic and I was sick, so now I blog...We went to the Residence in Wurzberg then down into the wine cellar where Dr. Musser and others climbed into a wine barrel. Funny stuff. We also had a glass of wine and we learned that the bottles are named after the fact that they resemble goat scrotum. They drink a lot more white wine here than we do in the states, but Riesling is officially my favorite wine now! We headed to Nuremberg where we went to a biergarten and heard a lecutre about the Nuremberg Trials from Dr. Wasser. Its a grand day when you are in a biergarten, listening to a lecture, and drinking beer with your profs:) Sara and I got sick...her more than me, but I'm surprised we made it through the night! Tuesday we went to the Zepplinger field where Hitler held Nazi rallies. It was eerie being where Hitler stood and all their architecture is so bland, angular, and macho that just the buildings are overbearing. I had an epiphany while I was standing in the stands. I can definately understand how Germans got sucked into their loyalty to Hitler because going to A&M you get sucked into the school spirit like it or not. Its the same rational...everybody else is doing it, but we use our unity for good things like 12th man, Howdy, and making out with strangers after a touchdown! But seriously, I can empathize with the Germans back then but I can't understand HOW they could have no sensibility when it came to persecuting Jews, disabled people, and homosexuals. The one thing I HATED about the field was the fact that they use it for soccer and car races. I wish they would leave it empty, just the way it was because maybe it would have more of an impact on people. When you have all that celebration going on around it, it takes away from the awe of the horrible things going on there, and I also think its like they don't take the gravity of what happened as serious. We also saw the outside of the courtroom where the Nuremberg trials were held which was cool, but I still don't understand out of all the people who were involved in the Holocaust they only tried 23ish?? There should have been more. We also learned that America along with other countries helped some of the accused escape just to benefit from their specialties like science and such. What were we thinking? Last we visited the documentation center which I thought it was cool that the outside is made of concrete but the inside of the horseshoe shaped building is all cheap brick like a fasod Hitler's entire reign. I like the museum enough, but I really liked looking out into the field where it was bleak and empty. I don't know why but it just fit when trying to take everything in. I liked Nuremberg and I think its something everyone should see, and now I can't wait to go to Berlin.

No comments: