Monday, August 06, 2007

Tschuss Dusseldorf!

I regret to say I am leaving Dusseldorf. I am going to miss my gracious host family, and our tasty dinners. Looking back at the beginning of the program, I remember feeling slightly nervous about staying without a roommate, and living so far from the rest of the students in the program. However, I think it is safe to say that I prefer rooming solo, because I was able to connect personally with my family. I didn't get to know my host sister too well, because she spent the majority of the time travelling for her school holiday. I wish I was proficient in German as well, so I could've communicated more effectively with my host dad. My host mom was very sweet though, and I talked with her a majority of the time. I am upset that I didn't get to enjoy the Alstadt as much as I wanted, but perhaps I can make an excursion to Dusseldorf the next time I am in Europe. Aside from Dusseldorf, I really enjoyed te bonding time with other students during the free weekend. Even though we always spent the first part of our trips confused about the new environment, i learned a lot about finding my way around new cities and adapting to different cultures.

I am going to miss...
bratwursts, cheap sandwiches, good beer, the ice cream, the students, my host family, the crackberry, the AIB, and last but not least the opportunity to visit surrounding cultures so easily.

I will not miss...
the public transportation, trying to sleep while sitting vertically, ATM fees, and the lack of fluids available.

Tchuss!

No comments: