Thursday, August 02, 2007

A Future Outlook

Since vet school is extremely difficult to get into, many people can't help but think about things to do if they don't get accepted. I used to think about it a lot, because until not too long ago I didn't really believe in myself. I have had people, some even in my family, doubt my dream. When that happens, after a while you begin to doubt yourself and that really holds you back. However, I recently rekindled the fire and I feel much more sure of myself now- much more empowered and determined than ever. This trip has only helped. I have learned so much about not only veterinary medicine and its history, but about human medicine and some completely different cultures and their histories. The world seems so much larger now, and I feel as if anything is possible when it comes to my future, no matter what anyone else thinks or says.
Why am I talking about all this here? Well, today we paid a visit to the Bayer research and fermentation facilties. One of the alternatives that I used to think about was going into animal pharmaceuticals, so I had been looking foward to today to get a better sense of what that would be like. While I found it all to be very interesting, I was comparing it to what I had just experienced in our two days at the vet school in Hannover, and honestly, it did not compare at all. I mean, I could sort of see myself working in a pharmaceutical lab and making good money... And hating life at the same time. But I can clearly see myself having a great time getting down and dirty palpating cows, playing with ewe ovaries, and researching reproduction in swine. It sounds like a blast to me. And about the money? It's not as important to me as enjoying what I do for the rest of my life.
For me, veterinary medicine takes the cake. Half-assing things because I don't think I can do it no longer applies to me. This program has opened my eyes again, so wide this time that I can see my path. Stand back ya'll, I'm going to vet school!

No comments: