Thursday, August 09, 2007

Das Bier

Well as the proram comes to an end I feel it is time to elaborate on that one German experience that everyone always talks about: beer. The germans do love their beer, that definitely isn't a false stereotype. The beer is also, in general, better than the beer I have tried in the states. However, I have also had the worst beer I have ever tasted here in Deutschland. My frequent beer tasting has made me very picky but I also am beginning to appreciate the different beers. I found that I am a fan of the pils type, although I also enjoy lagers and darker beers. Beer tastes a lot better from a keg from the brewery 5 minutes away than from a can. My favorite beers from germany will have to be schluessel alt, franciscaner, and radeberger. The worst beer I've ever had, was called rauchbier which translates literally into snoke beer. The malt is passed over smoke sometime during the brewing process which leads to a distinct and disgusting taste of smoke with every sip. I have heard people say that they can't drink us beer after coming from germany but I doubt that will be the case. I think that I will just have to throw out the extra dollars for something that tastes a little better...

No comments: