Wednesday, August 08, 2007

So, this trip has really flown by fast. I can't believe that tomorrow is the final full day. I'm really excited about going on top of the dome and being able to see a more aerial view of Berlin. It was really sad saying bye to Steffi at the train station. My host family goodbye was really awkward. She shook my hand and that was pretty much it. We didn't get very close at all, because we had very different schedules, and she didn't choose to include us in any family activities. So when I was home for Sunday afternoons, she was off with her family and left us dinner in the kitchen. I was I had more of a relationship with her than that of a hotel clerk. Oh well, it was a learning experience nonetheless. My relationship with her, or lack thereof, taught me to be pretty independent in how to get about the city and what to do in Dusseldorf. I really liked Dusseldorf, after traveling to other cities in Germany and the rest of Europe, I realize how modern and fun it is. Berlin is also really interesting. I never really appreciated how big of a deal the Berlin Wall was before this trip. I mean we talked about it briefly in my high school history classes, but I never really understood what a big deal it was. I never understood how it divided family and friends. The Museum of Communism in Prague also helped me understand this a little bit. I don't know if I'll ever be able to comprehend how isolated someone must feel living in a Communist system, never being able to confide in friends and family out of fear of being spied upon by the government. This trip has also made me really grateful for what I have in America. I never really had a sense of home in Texas, mainly because I hadn't traveled for more than a week outside of the area. This trip has really shown me that no matter where I'll end up living in life, Texas is my home, where I grew up. I really find that interesting, because I have honestly never felt a sense of "home" before. Well, we're about to leave for the dome so I'll be posting tomorrow for my final post of the program!

No comments: