Thursday, August 09, 2007

Berlin

We finally made it to the capital city of Germany: Berlin. We took a lovely bike tour around the city, and while we were not able to see everything, I absolutely loved being on the bikes. I have missed doing physical activity while I have been here in Germany. We have been walking everywhere, don't get me wrong, but we haven't been exercising exactly. So the bike tour was fun; our tour guide was interesting because he travels so much with his work (giving bike tours is his summer job.).

What I really enjoyed in Berlin however, was going up into the glass dome of the parliament building. We went up there at dusk when the sun was just setting and the clouds were still on fire from the sun. The breeze at the top of the building felt amazing, and the view was fabulous. From the top of the glass dome you could see the entire city, the tops of roofs and the occasional peaking church spire. One of my favorite things is being in nature, and while the city is man made, the wind and the sun up there made the city feel calm (like nature). I really enjoyed that.

We did see parts of the wall, we went to check point charlie and saw them selling "pieces of the wall" - I am skeptical as to whether they were actual pieces of the wall or just pieces of concrete.

My prominade around the city took me to the Tier Garden, a beautiful place to sit and blog. However, I wanted to mention briefly here at the end that there were some really cool global stone in an exhibit here in the park. One stone from every continent. It was pretty cool.

No comments: