Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Berlin, the last excursion

So we are now in Berlin and only have one full day left. Yesterday the group took a bike tour. I really enjoyed it because it was fun and we got to see a few sights we may not have noticed on our own. The city seems as one how we see it today. It is weird to think that only 18 years ago, it was split in half. The wall going up must have been terrifying. People had to make the decision to flee quickly before it was too late and the windows were blocked and the wall constructed. On the tour, the group rode to the Jewish memorial. It was different than most memorials I have ever seen. I probably would have just thought it a park area if we hadn't been told about it. That may have been part of the artist's intention.

Well, today I we have visited the pathology exhihbits at the nearby university, and I visited the zoo. I really liked the hearts with medical devices implanted in them. The birth deffects were a little disturbing to me though. At the zoo, I saw Knut, the baby polar bear that is not such a baby anymore. He was a little dissapointing. He was pretty big and didn't do too much. I also saw hippos, and they were pretty cool.

So far, I really like Berlin. It is a lot different than Munich as everyone has said. It is a modern city and there are lots of cool structures to look at. It has a pretty big media tower like the Rheinturm in Dusseldorf. The media towers seem to be pretty commonplace in Germany.

Tonight, a few of us are going out to a club called the matrix for dancing. I am excited. I heard it even has a pool inside. Tomorrow, I need to make sure I find me some currywurst before I leave. Peace.

No comments: