Monday, August 06, 2007

Praha

This is an excerpt from an email that I wrote to my family at the end of my Prague weekend a week ago. I wanted to include this because I wrote it when I was fresh from touring the city in that same weekend. It's better to recount things this way than scraping together random memories, I think. Prague is one of my favorite places, to be sure. I could write a lot about it, and I haven't yet finished my entries in my own journal. Prague had a wonderful feeling about it that was all its own.


"Prague is great. I think you would all love it here! The old town is
really nice and the little shops are full of ceramics, glass, garnet,
and amber. Really nice things. The place is packed with tourists but I
really don't mind, I actually feel safe here. We have a flat near the
city center. When I say near, I mean it is still a decent walk. It is
"near" in czech or european terms! I love walking here though, and we
haven't taken public transport once! I am breaking in my birkenstocks
rather nicely!

I really do think you guys would like prague. It is different from the
other cities I've been in. It is old, but the buildings are original
since nothing was really damaged in WWII. We climbed on top of a hill
at the edge of old town and saw a spectacular view of the city. It was
beautiful! It is so dense with gorgeous buildings. The people here
have been really friendly too. We even saw an aggie in the square! How
funny is that?

I have to catch a train at 6 something this evening to
duesseldorf. It will last 10 hours...eeh. We reserved some reclining
seats though, so I should be able to sleep!"

No comments: