Sunday, August 05, 2007

a brief summarization

I am out in Alstadt on this beautiful Sunday afternoon. One of the activites I have really taken advantage of is people watching. It comes as second nature to me and I am fascinated by it. I was hoping to pick up some mustard but it does not look like the shops are open today. The place is still just as crowded as it is when the shops are open. People here really love to go out together and socialize with their close friends and I love that about them. I think here and back home we both appreciate family but here they value close friendships on a higher level than we do. I have always considered myself a very outdoors person but when I do outdoor things it is a sport, or going to the lake, or horseback riding or fishing down on the Brazos. I have always been anti big city, especially back home in the states. I live in Austin but I am referencing Dallas, Houston, etc. Anything with a few loops around town and an efficient public transport is too big to me. What I like here about Dusseldorf is the ability to be "outside in town" with an open feeling I get from my other activities and this what they call "Allstadt". Its the oldest part of town that exists but the cars and polluton are removed and the air is fresh and there are more trees than you'd expect. Both worlds can exist. I am amazed. It is my perfect getaway. The thing is the skyscrapers are gone and the streets are cobblestone like and its just an atmosphere I cannot experience back home. This and the street side cafes are what I will miss the most by far. In a lil while I will go grab a bench in the shade by the Rhein and pick up my new book. Reading as a hobby is something I used to do but have fallen out of in the past few years. Too much xbox I suppose. But I have rediscovered casual reading again and its great. I definitely think this is a good thing. I long to take some of my habits and my point of views home with me. For one, I hope they stick with me and two maybe I might rub off on a friend. One thing that has exceeded my expectations is the weather. It couldn't have been more perfect for me. From the ideal sun with a breeze to the cold fronts to the rain I have loved it all. I have been hesitant to admit it until now but I really will miss Dusseldorf. There is a lot I have come to love. My virgin experience of "being abroad" besides the 2 week family vacation on beaches in costa rica has really opened my eyes in ways that are hard to explain. I now have such a better understanding of the world we live in. I have made connections with those bigger than my surroundings, bigger than Texas (and I LOVE Texas)n bigger than the states or my continent. There is a group of people bigger than all of that whom we have more in commom with than we think. We are really not that different after all. Both my mom and my step mom's history are both deep rooted in German heritage. And I just feel like more puzzle pieces have come together for me while also at the same time the size of the puzzle has grown. If that makes sense. I can see why German pride is so strong. They have a lot to be proud of and a gorgeous country they call home. I have found lots of similarities between Germanuy and Texas which make me think I may actually be able to live here one day. I also have grown in independence here during this trip and I think that's a strong atttribute to have. I think its great to share with family and loved ones but taking a step backwards and looking at the bigger picture.. Where are you if you can't stand on your own two feet? I am going to go thoroughly enjoy the rest of my afternoon here in the Dussel.

No comments: