Thursday, August 09, 2007

Debunking the myths

I will now attempt to summarize my findings of the German culture as of this point.I have been here for about 12 weeks. I have seen and heard much, that both confirms and completely changes my opinions of Germany and Germans. These explanations are of course only my opinions and previous thoughts about Germany before I got here and pertaining to where I have been and what I have done...take them with a grain of salt.

.Myth 1: Germany is in Europe, therefore it is more dangerous than the United States.

Before I left I had to attend a few "Safety While Abroad" seminars and if anything these made me more paranoid than I should have been. Every country is going to have its dangerous people and criminals, that unfortunately is inevitable in today's society. However, I have observed daily in Germany, only events which make me feel that much safer when walking or taking a bus home at night. I won't go as far as to say that the Germans are naive about safety but looking around, one might think that nothing bad ever happens. I have seen on multiple occasions, children I would gauge as around 10-14 travel with a friend of the same age alone on the subway system. This has been both during the day and in the evening. I personally don't think this is a lack of parental concern, but rather a trust of the German people that has over the years never been betrayed. Every now and then I will attempt to read a German newspaper. I have not once seen on the first few pages anything about a murder, robbery, or other aggravated crime. Surely, these things occur but the media in Germany don't feel the need to publicize every wrongdoing that unfortunately happens. I have also noticed that the police here seem to be less anxious when talking to or approaching people. If they need to tell a beggar or homeless person to leave they seem to do so as one would ask a child to do something. As far as pickpockets go, I have never had any apprehensions as to keeping my wallet in my sidepocket. I am not so bold as to keep it in backpocket, but most Germans I have seen do so. I cannot say that Germany is a safer place without fear of having to eat my own words, but I can say that I in no way feel more threatened or anxious here than I do in the United States.

Myth 2: The Germans are a cold and somewhat unfriendly people concerned only with business.

This statement has 2 different parts, one of which is true, the other false. The Germans are not friendly when it comes to business. They aren't unfriendly but they will not waste their time talking about the weather or the local sports team at a place of business. They will not hesitate to do so in the home, but at work it is all work and no play. There have been exceptions to this generalization to both extremes. My family and I were fortunate enough to have a very genuinely nice waiter at a Beer garden who all but made the night for us. Conversely, I have heard a waiter ask "Why do you say please? I don't have time for that sh&%." to which the customer promptly answered "Fine, A beer as%*(le." The germans are very concerned with efficiency and will do all to maintain schedules, from street construction to a timetable for a project at a processing plant. HOwever, I have found the Germans to be a very friendly people if you take the time to really talk to them. They are more than willing to teach you and listen while you struggle with a sentence and then compliment you before correcting you. SO basically, don't expect a German to go out of the way during business hours to make your day better (if one honestly needed help, they would of course oblige, but priority 1 is efficiency). But talk to a german when they aren't busy with work and they will laugh and joke and compliment the entire time.

Myth 3: The second world war is taboo.

This myth is false. They have no problem talking about post war reconstruction or anything historical having to do with the Nazi party or the times during the war. Now of course, one cannot call a German a "Nazi" and expect them to not be upset, but if one has a legitimate question about anything concerning the war, the Germans are more than happy to answer. I have also heard the war brought up between two Germans, so they don't only speak about it when asked about it. As long as one maintains a serious attitude and doesn't make any unnecessary and rude quips, it can flow as part of normal conversation.

Myth 4: Beer and Alcohol are consumed like water. Because the drinking age is lowered, binge drinking isnt as much of a problem.

The Germans do drink more than the Americans. However, most of this is in the form of wine or beer at dinner. Germans do not forego water in order to drink beer however. On the contrary they are very proud of their water with carbonation and drink more water than Americans do as well. What they substitute for beer and alcohol, isn't water, it's coke or other sodas. Coke and Sprite are generally as expensive as a glass of wine or small beer. Sometimes, the germans will compromise and drink a "Radler" which is sprite and an ale beer or some other variation of beer mixed with a soda. As far as the attitude about drinking goes, the Germans are generally just as concerned. I have met many germans, all over 18 that think that the drinking age should be raised. They believe 16 is just too young and I must agree. While there are alot of individuals who drink responsibly young, there are quite a few who don't. I have seen 16 or 17 year olds sit at a beer garden and have one beer, and I have also seen 16 or 17 year olds bring a couple bottles on a subway station and drink them there (drinking in public is legal almost everywhere, I have yet to see a drinking forbidden sign). AS far as binge drinking goes, I can imagine that it is about the same. I have seen as many drunk people here as I have seen in College Station. However, the laws against drinking are much more stringent here. The responsiobility lies with the individual. Drinking and driving with any amount is illegal. I have heard that you may have a reading of .02, which is four times lower than the U.S. Needless to say, One drink will probably put a person close to if not over this level. They take their drinking very seriously. Most people if they must drive home do not drink anything. If one is caught drinking and driving, they receive points on their license plus a fine. When a certain amount of points is obtained, they lose their license. So while they may have the choice to drink and drive, they don't.

No comments: