Tuesday, August 07, 2007

This weekend was our last free travel weekend. We went to Paris, which was on the top of my list of places to go. I had high expectations and I was not dissapointed! I loved Paris! It was just so rich with culture and there was so much to see. We spent a few hours in the Louvre, and that was absolutely wonderful. I had always wanted to visit the Louvre ever since I learned so much about it in my art magnet classes in middle school. When I saw that glass pyramid I was overcome with this feeling, I can't really explain it. It was surreal. I was in disbelief that I was actually there, finally. Then inside seeing all the famous paintings that I had only seen in textbooks. Wow.
Seeing the Eiffel tower was also surreal.I loved the way it glittered at the top of the hour. The view from the 2nd floor was spectacular, especially since it was night and all the buildings were lit up.
I was not pleased with our hotel though. It was so far our of the city and not in a particularly good area. Juvisy... Never go there.
The public transportation system was also something I was not thrilled with.
Monday was spent finishing up our research papers, which took me longer than expected because I was using a mac. The AIB needs to invest in PCs!!
It's strange how time flies. We are on our last week here in Deutschland. Today we took an ICE train to Berlin and did a bike tour. I really enjoyed that because not only did our guide do a great job, but riding the bikes was fun and all the stuff about the DDR was really neat to see. I love how they have that line of cobblestone around the city where the wall was. It's crazy to think about how recent it was that it happened. Everything we have been seeing up to this point has been from WWII or hundreds of years old, and the fall of soviet Berlin was just 17 years ago.
I'm looking foward to to medical history museum tomorrow and all the free time we have! It will be nice to just take it easy for a bit!

No comments: