Monday, August 06, 2007

Trier

This weekend I was able to make day trip to Trier. The experience ended up being fabulous and one of my best weekends yet! I was skeptical because it was a day trip instead of a whole weekend but was I mistaken. Trier boasts the most Roman remains second only to Rome. I got to see the remains of a (functioning) Roman bridge, an Ampitheater, the sewer systems and baths, and a huge city gate. All of these were so well preserved it was hard to comprehend how old they actually were. The cathedral there did not remind me of any I had seen before. It did not resemble Koln at all. So what I soon realized, was that the church was so old that it was completed before Gothic era was even conceived. Therefore the church had its own distinct roman look, setting it apart from everything else I have seen. It was built under Constantine, and the whole town bears a resemblance to him and his rule. The square was amazing, and one of the best squares I have ever been to. I 0grabbed a beer, sat down, and engaged in people watching, the talent I do so well. I just like to watch time pass by, and watch people go on about thier life. The drive through the Mossel valley down to Trier was the best train ride we have done as well. Its a river that spins off the Rhein and it has grape covered hills as well, but the current is not as strong and therefore there are a lot of lake/ski boats that can be found out there, as well as people swimming, cooking, makeshift camps, and trailer parks. In between you can find these little villages that are beautiful to the eye, a place "i want to move to retire". Trier was great, well worth the day trip, and we found a weekend festival down on the Rhein on Sunday that had great fish, beer, and a live band who covered the Beatles better than anyone else I've ever heard. It was a blast. And we were blessed to have perfect weather the whole weekend.

No comments: