Thursday, August 02, 2007

Dachau

Another old post that I wrote down instead of blogged right away. Written on the 27th

Yesterday we went to Dachau, a former concentration camp that was eerily close to Munich today. It was 3 miles from town in the 1930's when it was first in use. The experience was worthwhile, but I hated being there. I am sure that is a typical response due to its history. The camp was not what I expected. I didn't know what to expect, I only had ideas from movies I suppose. It reminded me of when I went to Pearl Harbor and the memorial there. I had the same sort of feeling. Both places are massive grave sites. I cannot see them any other way. It was hard for me to watch morbid curiosity manifest itself in everyone. Terror, grief and sadness are interesting from the outside in.

In short, I suppose that I just didn't know what kind of feelings and behavior were appropriate at such a place. Men were tortured and murdered in that place. How are we to act? The best thing I could think to do was to stare and remember what I witnessed.

No comments: