Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Week 5- Vienna and Zurich!

 Last week was the best week by far!!

Vienna was absolutely stunning. The city is full of rich history and beautiful architecture. The best museums were also in Vienna. My favorite was the Josephinian Military academy of Surgery because of how interesting the wax figures were. The wax models were beautiful and intricate and showed a complex understanding of the human body even almost 200 years ago. 

I also really enjoyed the natural history museum. The only other natural history museum I have been to is the one in Houston but this one in Vienna was by far better. 

The crypt in Vienna was very interesting. As someone who does research on bone regeneration and healing, I found the bones the tour guide showed us fascinating. The broken fibula and tibia that shifted and fused together was astonishing. I can’t believe someone lived with that and dealt with the pain in a time of questionable medical beliefs. I wish I could’ve taken a picture to show everyone else in the lab I work in  

After Vienna I headed to Zurich and it was the relaxing weekend I needed. We hung out by the river all day and went swimming. Besides the sunburn and how expensive food is in Switzerland, I had the perfect weekend. 

With only a few days left in Europe I’m having mixed emotions. I miss my dog, my family, and my boyfriend, but I’m having so much fun in Europe. I guess this is the part of the heroes journey Dr Wasser talked about not wanting to leave “paradise”. However, I’ll go back to Texas and not stay here forever, I’ll just miss Europe a lot. 

No comments: