Thursday, June 15, 2023

Week 3 Travels!!!

    Last week we finally went to Norderney! I was very excited and a little nervous because Dr. Wasser has really hyped up this trip and I was excited to see the place that he speaks so highly about. We learned in class about the history of saunas and I was especially interested to see the Badehaus although I wasn't sure what to expect. 

    The highlights of this trip for me were going to the Badehaus and the mud flat hike! I have a lot of interest in holistic medicine such as what they do in the Badehaus since I started going to physical therapy and doing dry needling this year. I was surprised that this treatment worked better for me than other medicinal options I had tried and so I was very curious when we learned about the badehaus and the benefits of a sauna. 

    On the mud flat hike, we learned a lot about the wildlife that can be found in the mud such as worms and crustaceans. I have a minor in Ecology and Conservation Biology so I found this really interesting and I loved learning from our guide. I was uncomfortable stepping in the mud at first, but after some time I was able to get more comfortable. Unfortunately, I did get a large cut on the bottom of my foot from a clam, but overall it was a great experience!

    After Norderney, I went to Amsterdam with some friends! I was really excited to see the Van Gogh Museum and see the nightlife in the city. We also went to the Rijks Museum and saw lots of beautiful art! Some of my favorite parts of this excursion were the Van Gogh museum and also going on a cruise down the canal. I was a little surprised by the experience we had in Amsterdam due to the Red Light District and the kind of people that are attracted to see it. We also had quite an adventure on the train back to Bonn when our train got canceled halfway through the trip and we had to figure out how to get home from a random town where we were stranded.

    Overall, it was another great week! I loved the excursion with our group and was happy to travel independently with my friends!

No comments: