Sunday, June 04, 2023

Maia's adventure week 2!!!!

    If you told me a couple months ago that my study abroad experience would involve lectures about saunas and saints who get their eyes gouged out, I would look at you like you just sprouted two heads. What has really stood out the most to me has been the lectures about the saints. Coming from a catholic back round, I have learned about sainthood and what is takes to become one. However, I never knew about how most of the popular saints involve health prayers as well. It was crazy to hear about their martyrs and how they changed the process of surgery. I also thoroughly enjoyed the da Vinci lectures, and would be more than happy to take a class that only involved da Vinci and his medical discoveries. He was way ahead of his age and if only he had more time, we might be decades if not centuries ahead on medical knowledge in the present.

Trinity and Laka

    This week also involved the first lecture of pharmacology. I hope this class will give me some helpful knowledge as I start my biochemistry classes in the fall. I already feel stronger in my ability to read medical journals and interpreting what situations the data could possibly be helpful for. It is also a great start to Hailey and I's day to see Dr. Fajt on the 16 train every morning on our way to school!

At the top of the Köln Cathedral

We visited Cologne this week and was able to see one of the most beautiful catholic churches I have ever seen in my entire 19 years of life. This cathedral (St. Peters) began its construction in the year 1248! We also learned that Cologne was apart of the the outer colonies of the holy roman empire, hence the name. It was on this day that I was privy to witnessing my favorite interaction that I have had on this trip. This spanish man named Antonio, who studies in Florida, was asking what we were studying abroad for. We told him biomedical sciences and he replied with "Oh, so you wanna be like nurses" to which Ava wasted no beat in responding with "No... Doctors". I have never seen someone backpedal as fast as this man did. It was quite a funny moment.

Ava looking out for some oystercatchers

We finished the week with the beginning of our expedition to Norderney. I can see why Dr. Wasser enjoys this city as much as he does. We were able to experience some A+ dining by a man named Bern (a.k.a Bernie) He was incredibly sweet and was so fascinated by the fact we were American. We even met his wife. I am over-the-moon excited to experience the Bade-haus on Monday!




No comments: