Friday, June 02, 2023

Bonn Breakdown Week 1

 My first week in Bonn has already been lifechanging. Getting off the plane, sitting in the Frankfurt airport, I felt like I was in limbo. It never hit me, and I don't think it still has hit me, that I am in Germany. Walking around the first day in Bonn felt like a dream. I loved looking at all the shops and smelling all the food. The weather has probably been the best difference so far because I can walk outside and not immediately pop a sweat like I do in Texas. My hostess has been amazing. The food she prepares for dinner has been all delicious so far. My favorite dish she's prepared has a vegetable called kohlrabi that I've never had before. She has been very welcoming and has given us good suggestions for weekend activities.

Of course, this is a study abroad so there is school involved. I've learned about prehistoric medicinal practices and how that has impacted ancient Greek, Roman, and Egyptian medicines. I didn't know that human autopsy was forbidden at that time since they had record of human anatomy from ancient Greeks. I was also surprised as to how becoming a physician turned from being an educated experimenter to just being able to recite what those in the past have already written. I'm enjoying all the class material so far and am excited to also start pharmacology this coming week. 

After just one week here, I feel like I've been here for months. I can't wait for what else to come!

Ciao, bis spater!

No comments: