Sunday, June 11, 2023

Maia's Adventure in Germany week #3

This week has been one of my favorite by far. We started the week off with a trip to the famous bade-haus. Before entering the building, we went to the bade-haus museum and learned about the history of the island. This island was meant for wealthy individuals to come for weeks at a time and enjoy the fresh air and the sea water. We learned about what they used to wear and how they would come to the island. I could imagine taking a bath in the freezing cold ocean (sounds like a nightmare to me). The bade-haus itseld was definitely not waht I was expecting. I loved the salt water pool and the outdoor hot tub. The mud treatment was definitely a unique experience as well. I totally understand now why people would travel miles to experience the bliss that was the bade-haus. Thank you Dr. Wasser for this life-changing opportunity! To top the day off, I blessed our group with my amazing DJing skills at the barbeque. I even got a 9.5 rating from the Dr. Wasser himself.
The mud hike was a highlight of my week as well. Learning about the biology of the worms and the crabs in the vat took me back to my intro to biology days. The portable microscope were fun to use and to see tiny insects up close. I got some great pictures. Although my toes were freezing by the time we hopped back on our bikes, it was a rewarding event.
After nordeney, we ventured onto the great nation of the Netherlands. Here we went on a day tour to go visit a cheese and clog-making facotry wear we tried at least 30 different types of cheese (I didn't even know there were that many kinds to begin with). We also had the. opportunity to see the windmills and what they were used for nowadays.
I have discovered my newly found love for art museums while in amsterdam. We visited the Rijksmuseum, where we got to see some Rebrandts like "The Night Watch". It was incredible to learn about how they are emasuring the vibrations of the Night Watch's canvas in order to preserve the backing of the painting. I also was able to visit the MOCO, where there was an entire Bansky exhibit, including his most famous painting "The girl with the red baloon".
Amsterdam also has some amazing food. I got to try indonesian food for the first time and am willing to start my own restaurant back in CSTAT because ... wow... I am so grateful to have spent the weekend with great people who celebrated my 20th birthday with me. I'm a teenager no more!!!

No comments: