Sunday, June 25, 2023

Bonn Breakdown Week 5

 This week I only spent one whole day in Bonn while the rest of the week I visited Vienna and Zurich...so not much to say about my time in Bonn. However, my 4 days in Vienna were amazing! Vienna is such a beautiful city full of really cool places with medical backgrounds. I really enjoyed this particular excursion because we got to see a lot of medical museums, my favorites being the Narrenturm, the Natural History Museum, and the Josephinian Military Academy of Surgery. I was in awe at how large the collections of specimens that all the museums had. With the Josephinian, I loved the concept that anatomist and artists could work together to create anatomically (mostly) correct wax figures to aid in the teaching of anatomy and physiology. I'm a sucker for medical oddities so the Narrentum was soooooo cool because they had such an amazing collection of all the different weird and outrageous medical conditions. The Natural History Museum had everything you could think of when it came to evolution and anything found on this earth. I loved learning all the little facts about the different animals that are extinct or still exist today. I also enjoyed Dr. Wasser's lecture on Sigmund Freud because I honestly didn't know that much about Freud and why he's so infamous in the psychology world. I thought it was interesting to hear about Freud's 3 theories about the human psyche and how they all kind of balance each other out, not always in a good way. I don't think I could ever be psychoanalyzed though. Lastly, I really enjoyed going down into the crypt because I'd never done anything like that before. It was interesting to see how much you could learn about a person just looking at their skeleton and how they were buried. The tour guide was also a hoot.

After Vienna, I was so excited to get to visit Zurich! It was beautiful. Even just the train ride through Austria and Switzerland was beautiful because we got to pass through the Alps. We didn't do too much in Zurich because we only had a day and we didn't want to spend too much money there since everything was pretty expensive. Lucky for us, the weather was nice and Zurich had a bunch of peaceful parks to visit. We even got to go to the Unterer Letten Swimming Area which basically was like a public pool except the pool was a flowing river. It was so nice to just sit out, read my book, and jump in the river now and then to cool off because that water was pretty cold. It was nice to finally have a pool day with how hot the weather has gotten. I really enjoyed Zurich and it's beauty and someday I hope to do a little more hiking and maybe even ski in Switzerland some day.

Coming to the end of this week, I'm starting to get sad that I only have one more week left in Europe. I will definitely cherish this last week and I can't wait to visit Berlin!

Tschüss und bis später!

No comments: