Wednesday, June 07, 2023

To Nordeny and Beyond -Week 2

This has been an interesting and fun 4 days. I just got back from Nordeny and am waiting for the train station to  Amsterdam, but there is so much to discuss! 

Ever since I tried going on this study abroad trip two years ago, I had been hearing about the great island and spa of Nordeny, and have been anticipating the trip. Saunas, beaches, and ecological tours - I was excited for everything and anticipating the most! After a long day of travel, we finally arrived on the island and it was not what I was expecting. I’m not exactly sure why, but I had this image drawn up in my head of a smaller island with not many permanent residents and the bade-haus as the main attraction. However, after spending just a few hours on the island, I pleasantly realized it was a much bigger community.

Over the next few days I managed to walk around the town and try lots of different foods. I did try frischbrötchen, twice, and I must say it pretty good (besides the pickled herring, I couldn’t stomach that one). However, my favorite new ‘food’ was the East Frisian Tea. As soon as Dr. Wasser mentioned the tea, i new I had to try it, and on the second day I did! Only recently have I gotten into drink tea, so it was a real treat to try the tea that I would not have been able to try otherwise. 

Now, the main attraction, the base-haus. As I said before, I had heard about this spa and sauna for years, and I was finally excited to try it. I have been to the Korean sauna in the United States before, but as I’ve learned, the cultures and rules are very different, yet similar. Both sauna had a water, sauna, and scrub component. However, here the sea water therapy was a very big deal, and very special to Nordeney. At the bade-haus, I very much enjoyed the water level. The pools were very relaxing and the steam bath felt amazing. The sauna were good too even though it was hard to get over the make components of saunas. In  the korean spa I went to, no one is naked in the main saunas, however I still very much enjoyed all aspects of the sauna.

Now, I am on my way to Amsterdam, and then to Paris, and already experiencing the beauty of a delayed train. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the next adventures.



No comments: