Sunday, June 04, 2023

Week 2 in Germany!

 While this week consisted of a lot of class time, we were also able to visit Cologne on Wednesday. The cathedral was unlike anything I have ever seen. It almost looked fake from the outside, and the inside was even more beautiful. After our walking tour and authentic German lunch, we stopped at one of the many ice cream shops and ate the largest parfait of ice cream I have ever seen. Afterwords, feeling bloated, a group convinced me to walk to the top of the Cathedral. I am not a fan of heights, so this experience was not easy for me. Even though I struggled through this climb, I was very glad my friends convinced me to do it because the view was incredible from the top. 

On Thursday we went on the pub crawl lead by Finn and Elisa. Due to the large number of participants, the pub crawl turned into a sort of walking and drinking tour of Bonn. Walking around town with drinks felt so strange but also freeing. We stopped at different kiosks, which are basically German gas station stores, and pubs. The crawl ended at the large lawn in front of the university. It was so nice to experience an authentic night in Bonn and to meet people from different programs. 

I have enjoyed Dr. Fajt’s pharmacology class so far. I desperately needed some help breaking down complicated journal articles and learning to understand the important pieces of the literature. The articles we have discussed thus far are very interesting. I am excited to continue her class next week.

Now we are in Norderney, which is such a cool town. We seem to be some of the only people from the US here. Last night, the owner of a local fish restaurant was so excited to practice his English with us and even face-timed his wife to tell her that there were Americans eating at his restaurant. While this was a bit strange, he was so kind and welcoming. I am excited to explore the island more and visit the sauna tomorrow. Norderney is my favorite place we have visited because it is so relaxing and the beach is my happy place.

Tschüssy!

No comments: