Monday, June 19, 2023

Week 4!

After week three was full of adventures, cancelled trains, and traveling, week four was very relaxing. I enjoyed class this week and I loved learning about the huge role women played in the history of medicine. It was refreshing to hear about important women when history is usually based around the roles of men. My favorite lecture this week was the one given by Reagan, my favorite part being our discussion at the end. As young women pursuing a variety of careers in the medical field, I think it’s important to understand the hardships of women in the past and how their struggles have given us the opportunities we have today. 
I also thoroughly enjoyed the Johann Winter museum. It was so cool to see how intricate some of the procedures in antiquity were especially with their lack of technology. I usually don’t think of these civilizations as capable to perform medical procedures but after seeing evidence of trepanation in the Roman Civilization and even earlier, I now think these civilizations are much more intelligent and complex than I thought. They had a greater understanding of the human body than what I once thought.
It was also intriguing to see how fast things have changed in recent years. Within the last 50 to 60 years, technology in the medical field has vastly increased and is continuing to change. It was so cool to see how machines we still use today looked so different when they were first invented in the 70s and 80s. 
This weekend I traveled to Brussels, I had no expectations other than I just wanted to have a fun time and that I did! We did a pub crawl Saturday night and I was surprised by how many people in the medical field I met. I met multiple people studying biomedical engineering, one of which does research in orthopedics so me and him had fun talking about our research projects! 
I’m excited to travel to Vienna! I can’t wait for the Freud museum. I learned some about him in high school and I’ve always been intrigued by his thought process and how drastically he messed up the psychiatric field while still bringing awareness to it. 

No comments: