Sunday, June 11, 2023

Fun Travels - Week #3

 This week has been nothing short of exciting and new adventures outside of Bonn. Last Saturday we arrived in Norderney and I have to say, it definitely exceeded my expectations. It was so nice to get away from the city and enjoy Mother Nature for a couple days. Each day began with a short workout led by Dr. Wasser which consisted of  Tai Chi and a light vigorous workout followed by a Thalasso dip in the ocean. I quite enjoyed these morning workouts and wished I had waken up to do this on the first day. Some of my favorite activities in Norderney included the bike tour, the bade haus, and enjoying the East Frisian tea. I am so incredibly proud of myself for participating in the bike tour. I had learned to bike right before this trip and I cannot believe I biked ~17 km. Yay me!! The bade haus is for sure a highlight of this week. I was skeptical about going into the saunas and participating in the mud scrub but they were such AMAZING experiences. It was a bit weird to be sitting in 85-90 C air but it felt nice to sweat and just relax. I could have probably stayed there for the whole day. The bade haus is an experience I will never forget. My last favorite activity was drinking East Frisian tea. I'm not a huge tea drinker but I could have drunk the whole pot if it were not for the mud flat hike afterwards. The tea was the perfect blend if sweet and bitter which made it all the more enjoyable. Those 4.5 days on the island were filled with so many firsts and I couldn't have expected anything more. 

For the remainder of the week, my best friend and I traveled to Amsterdam, Edinburgh, and London. We spent two night in Amsterdam and the city was full of gorgeous canals. We also visited the Van Gogh Museum which displayed such beautiful artwork. Stroopwafel are a must in Amsterdam so we of course went to the most famous stroopwafel place and it was DIVINE. We also went to Fabel Frites, famous for their fries, and they were so good (much much better than the ones here). The waiting in line for both shops was definitely worth it. 

We only spent half a day visiting Edinburgh, and this was by far my most favorite place. The scenery was breathtaking. Although there was SO MUCH walking, the castle is for sure a must see place. We spent 2.5 hours walking the castle grounds and I was pleasantly surprised by the number of little exhibits they had. We also had the chance to see the oldest Crown jewels and scepter in Britain and they were magnificent. I absolutely loved all the architecture here and the sights. If we had gotten more time, I would have definitely planned a hike.

Out last stop was London. Our day was filled tons of sight seeing such as the Buckingham palace, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Tower Bridge, and walking over the London Bridge. We were so lucky that while we were visiting Buckingham palace, we saw the exchanging of guards. What a real treat! We also went to the Borough Market which was jam packed with people and booths filled with cheese, food, and jams. While in London, we were fortunate enough to get tickets to ride the London Eye which allowed us the opportunity to see the city of London from above. 

Although our visit to each city was short, I had the time of my life. I cannot believe we're halfway done with this program, but I cannot wait for the other excursions coming up! 


No comments: