Wednesday, June 07, 2023

Week 2!!

 I had this blog post written in my notes for last week and I meant to publish on Sunday, sorry. 

This week was eventful! I feel like I have really started to get the lay of the land and I am settling into a rhythm finally. We started off this week with going to the opera on Monday; it was so fun! I’ve never been to the opera before and while it was in German I was still able to appreciate the amazing singing of the actors on stage. 

Tuesday, was a beautiful day outside. I loved being able to sit in the courtyard between classes and enjoy the sun. After class we went to the Rheinlust which was so fun. It was really a bonding experience with many of the other girls that are on this trip and I think the more we spend time together the more I realize how fast we’re becoming friends. We also met the bartender named Flo who was so interested in America and what brought us to Germany. This was the first time anyone from Germany was really curious and wanted to ask questions and was excited that we were from America. Most of the other people I’ve met have been not as receptive of me being an American.

 On Wednesday, we went to Cologne and it was striking how large the cathedral was when we pulled into the train station. It is amazing that they were able to finish a structure so large with the technology of their day. I learned so much about the history of Cologne and the tour guide seemed so knowledgeable about all of it. The museum of the old Gestapo headquarters was heartbreaking. Reading the writings of the people housed there on the walls and seeing the conditions that they were forced to live in was such an eye opening experience. You hear about that kind of thing in school and think “oh, that’s awful” but it doesn’t really hit you like seeing it up close and personal. What really struck me, though, was how central the building was in the city. The windows to where the prisoners were being held would have been able to be seen by people and the sounds and smells would definitely have gotten people’s attention. It’s just so hard to think about how people knew what was going on but we’re too afraid to do anything about it. 



Thursday and Friday we spent in class and preparing for our trip to Norderney. I am so excited to experience the island. Sitting writing this on the train I think it will be so cool to see the island and the bade haus. We’ll check in next week to see how it went. 

No comments: