Friday, June 02, 2023

Week 2 in Germany!!

    Week 2 has been just as great as Week 1! I loved traveling to Cologne and learning the history behind the city. I have slowly gotten used to the public transportation system which is great and is calming my nerves about showing up late to class. 

    Week 2 classes have been very fun as well. The lecture about the different saints has been my favorite. The saint's stories and the ways to identify them in a painting have been one of the most interesting topics we have discussed. My favorite saint we have learned about has been St. Bartholomew (the patron saint of dermatology). I just love the way he is portrayed in paintings holding his skin and a flaying knife. My second favorite saint is St. Margaret (the patron saint of childbirth). I love her story about bursting out the dragon and becoming the saint for women to pray to for successful/easy childbirth. It was also kind of neat to apply the knowledge we learned about the ways to identify the saints at the cathedral in Cologne. 

    The lecture about saunas was pretty interesting as well. I am excited to apply what we learned when going to the bade:haus. It is very interesting that there are different rules about the sauna when comparing Germany and Finland. I have never been into a sauna so I am a little nervous about how my body will react, but still very excited to experience something I have never tried.

No comments: