Sunday, June 25, 2023

Week 05: Vienna and Munich

 Vienna 

I have undoubtedly decided that I love love love Vienna. In fact, I found myself falling so deep in love with the city that it is my main motivator to learn the german language just so I can visit it many times over. My favorite part was the Field Study Narrenturm due to how interesting it was to learn about the different diseases and conditions existing in the world right now. I feel like it has been the first museum on this trip that has catered to my academic interest since I want to become a diagnostic radiologist. While I understand that what I was seeing were wax models of various conditions, it was still fascinating to observe the symptoms displayed and see how it connected to the illness. 

Another exciting thing I did in Vienna was go to the Belvedere museum with my bestie Olivia. We had a one track mind going there: see The Kiss. It was a beautiful painting in real life undoubtedly, but I had higher expectations like seeing the gold glimmer more brightly under the lights. However, it seems like time has dulled its spark. Nonetheless, it was a beautiful painting and it continues to be one at that.

Munich

Olivia and I tend to get ourselves into strange situations someway somehow. We never know how it happens but there always has to be some bizarre event for us to witness like a major arrest in a park while we were enjoying our boba after an exhausting day of sight seeing.

Other than that, my favorite part was our visit to the Munich Residence. It is so grand despite it not being a palace with 130 rooms filled with extravagance that one can not imagine ever living in within this lifetime. One of the rooms had wall to wall gold decor. It makes me question how it must of have felt to live in a place that screams wealth and valuable culture back when it was constructed. 

No comments: