Sunday, July 26, 2009

Vienna

When first arriving to Vienna I was captivated by the brilliant architecture running through the enitre city. The open air bus tour really did a good job in letting the whole class see it. I liked listening to Mozart in between the audio concerning the famous sights. Vienna was special to me because I music was and still is a big part of my life. And being in the Musical Arts Capitol of the world, where Beethoven and Mozart came to compose, was surreal. In Bonn I got to see where Beethoven was born, and in Vienna I got to see where he lived. In Vienna I also got to see the house- which is now a store!- where Mozart died in.
The Sugmund Freud Museum was pretty cool too. Freud's flat in Vienna was opulent back in his day and very spacious today. We got to see his old hat and cane and the room where he psycho-analyzed all his patients. Unfortunately the famous couch was not there- it was in London where he died.
The next day in Vienna we got to go down into the catacombs of St. Stephen's Cathedral. The dark and twisting cooridors of the catacombs were intense and exciting-and also creepy due to the stacks and stacks of human bones in certain rooms. I didn't realize, but people paid to be burried under there because of the hallowed ground. So far Vienna is an amazing city, despite the heat.

No comments: